Wednesday 15 May 2013

Day 9 of 90 Day Fitness Challenge. Yes to the Beetroot, but definitely No to the Yukkie Horseradish & Vodka...Disgusting!!! :)


Day 9

Day 9 already, the time flies.

Well the word for today is Beetroot.  Sometimes beetroot doesn't taste too good but sometimes like today as part of my dinner tonight it was sweet,  juicy and pure dope (that means good, if you don't know :) )


I have a real taste for sweet vegetables,  put a plate of parsnips and beetroot in front of me for dinner and I would be a happy bunny.  I may do that one day ha ha

Here is an idea for a beetroot drink, be careful with the ginger though as it could be quite hot if too much is added.



Here is another idea with apples, I really like the sound of this one and I will be trying it soon.


Beetroot helps lots of different ailments, here is a little background theory to the beneficial properties of this vegetable.


  • Beetroot helps the body to utillise calcium, which is important for skeletal health and reducing the risk of osteoporosis.

  • It contains soluble fibre which has also been shown to have cholesterol lowering properties.

  • As Beetroot is virtually fat free and low in calories it has a GI of 64 which is extremely low GI (Glycaemic Index), so it's converted into sugars very slowly which helps to keep blood sugar levels stable.

  • It's iron content means that it's good for those with anaemia & fatigue.

  • A study by Wake Forest University in NC USA suggests that Beetroot can help protect against alzheimer's and dementia. Drinking beetroot juice increases blood flow to the brain in older people, which may be able to fight the progression of dementia.


Have you ever made beetroot soup?  I haven't, but this soup recipe sounds like it will be worth trying.  I will be omitting a few of the ingredients, that's the beauty of following a recipe isn't it?  you can make it your own once you have the basic ingredients.    Here is a beetroot and goat's cheese soup recipe you may like to try.

  http://soup-tuesday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/beetroot-soup-with-goats-cheese.html





A friend suggested to me today that I write a song about the theme of this challenge.  A few years ago I wrote in collaboration with a friend,  an amusing song about the busy time at Christmas.  I have sung this song during a few Christmas concerts.  It runs along the lines of a Victoria Wood type funny song.  I might just take her up on that challenge.  

Talking about Christmas our (Liz Clarke & I) first Christmas concert booking came in today  which will be at a venue in  Bury St Edmunds.  I have been there once before but I can't exactly remember where it is.  If my memory serves me right it was either near Great Yarmouth or Blackpool :)  I'll have to check that one out.

Don't worry I'm not going to post a Christmas song, I'll leave that until next week ha ha

Until tomorrow get juicing...
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment